Monday, April 28, 2014

Painting..

Two years ago I decided to paint my whole apartment. Me being me, I went out, bought the paint, painted, and then asked the manager if it was cool. Fortunately it worked out. When I move I'll have to re-paint. I made some bold choices when I painted. I like color and I have a tendency to put myself out there and see what happens. By the time I finished the bedroom, bathroom, living room, and dining room I could not bring myself to do the kitchen. It is painted in hi-gloss. The bathroom was hi-gloss. It wasn't fun.

Two years later, I was tired of that awful dingy looking swiss coffee color. At night with the fluorescent light on the room is reminiscent of an interrogation cell in a bad TV police drama. So I decided to freshen it up with a brighter white. It was off to Home Depot for me. Somewhere along the way I had the brilliant idea that a lovely minty green accent color would be swell. I'm not a pastel kind of girl at all. In fact, I kind of hate those colors in general. But I had a clear idea in mind and after debating for a few moments between two swatches I made my color selection and bought my paint.



(Side note - re-grouting that awful yellow in the kitchen tiles will be the next home improvement project).



(The color was Stan approved.)

I'm terribly impatient. I wanted to go home and start right away. That was Wednesday. I didn't get home until 9pm. Thursday I had a mini-head shot photo shoot with a friend (more to come on that soon). Friday I had work all day. So Saturday was painting day. It took a few hours to clear everything out and tape it all off. It took hours to paint. Hi-gloss is miserable. It takes so many coats to cover evenly - I did sand most of it slightly before hand and that helped. The un-sanded bits, oh my.



I can never paint without ordering pizza. It was oh so good.



I finally finished at 3am. Collapsed into bed at 5am (can't leave a mess with cats). Final conclusion - I LOVE it!! There were a few moments when I wasn't certain the color would be all that brighter but it is! It no longer feels like a cell in there. The green turned out better than I could have hoped for. It goes great with the rest of the color and gives such a clean fresh feel to the room. It reminds me of those soft melt in your mouth candies I used to get as a child at my Italian relatives weddings. I don't know what they are called but they were so lovely to eat and the color brings that to mind.



It's a good thing I love it because I'd be stuck with it either way. My hands and arms and legs are sorer than I can ever remember them being. After a soak in a hot bath this morning I collapsed into bed with paint in my hair and what felt like just about everywhere. My plans for the day were completely waylaid by exhaustion and aches and pains but it was all worth it. My kitchen is 100 times lovelier than it was before. When I finally get around to moving I will be paying someone to re-paint the whole place back to white because frankly, I just don't have it in me to do it all again…but I love it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment